Wildcard presents the Premiere of Insert Coin to Play: Pinball Life
July 15 2011
Announcing their presence with an explosion of sound, lights, and design, pinball machines are a unique part of pop culture that combine gaming, skill, and art into one colorful package. To celebrate the machine’s presence as both art and an inspiration to artists, Wildcard is proud to present Insert Coin to Play: Pinball Life from July 15 to August 21. Pinball Life is timed to coincide with the Professional & Amateur Pinball Association (PAPA) World Championships (August 11-14), held each year in Scott Township. This group show includes original work from local and national artists and also features vintage backplates of old games (on loan from PAPA).
In addition to the vintage pinball machines at Wildcard and a third on loan, Pinball Life includes the debut of the new Lawrenceville-themed pinball machine, featuring art by local artist Andy Scott. In addition, Wildcard will be hosting its annual Wildcard Pinball Classic on Friday, July 22. The competition will feature four tournaments on four separate machines, as well as a playoff for a grand prize. Free to enter. In addition, 50% of the proceeds from the show and tournament will go to local bicycle advocacy group Bike Pittsburgh (www.bike-pgh.org/).
A complete list of artists follows:
- Dan Burfield works with sculptural and metal elements (www.notionpotion.com)
- Andy Scott draws and paints on different mediums (www.aplace-forall.blogspot.com)
- Cryss Stephens photographs pinball machines in extreme close-ups
- Elizabeth Klevens creates pieces out of metal and glass (www.elizabethklevens.com)
- Doug Cooper uses charcoal and other paints to create murals and video pieces
- Brian Holderman is an illustrator/artist whose custom pinball machine appeared in the
Funland exhibit at the Warhol (www.bholderman.com)
- Rafael Colon uses sneakers and skateboards as his artistic medium (www.brolicdesigns.com)
- Mike Budai’s illustrations appeared on a custom pinball machine in the Funland exhibit at the
Insert Coin to Play: Pinball Life runs from Friday, July 15 through Sunday, August 21. An Opening Night reception with the artists will be held on Friday, July 15, from 6-9PM with free drinks and refreshments.
...The Pittsburgh Art Blog
The Pittsburgh Art Blog features selected pittsburgh artists and upcoming exhibits with photos from the artists and galleries. since the major press outlets do not go beyond a directory listing of exhibits, blogs are needed to promote pittsburgh artists and their work. the blog also calls attention to the inferiority complex of pittsburgh art and how it's perpetuated by the major players in town. Started on August 20,2007. pittsburgh area galleries and art venues are listed at the sister site www.PghGalleries.com.
the blog and website are volunteer projects from fine art photographer and pittsburgh artist advocate rick byerly.